Any wikipedia authors?

My professor for visual science class, a jovial British man who recently lost his wife to cancer, asked us if one of us would like to write a wikipedia article about vision, because a lot of the material covered in class is based on latest research, and there does not exist an appropriate textbook for it in the market.
Seems like the idea struck a chord in me. I was quite intrigued at the thought of being an author for an article which would be read and searched by millions of students and curious learners. I also know that it will not be too difficult to be approved as the author as I will probably be one of the two people considering writing this thing out of a class of ten. I have always wanted to write for our engineering magazine, but never found the time and motivation to churn out any 'sample' articles. I would have all these ideas for the articles, but unfortunately, they never materialized on paper.
However, I have already set my mind on writing this article. I know that it is going to be time-consuming, but it will just as well enhance my resume, and maybe buy me a good recommendation letter from this prof. Moreover, I am fascinated by the material covered in class and was actually contemplating joining him in his research. But first of all, I need to brush up on the basics, research some sources of information touched upon in class, and find out what kind of information needs to go into the article.
Have any of you ever authored or editted a wikipedia article? Would you be willing to read and give me feedback on my article if I ever got around to writing it? I have not written essays or papers in a long time now, and I am highly skeptical of my writing skills at the moment. :-P


4 comments:
I can provide feedback on the article if it helps u earn some brownie points u nerd !!
I have had grammar lessons and structural writing lessons from our very own radhuben.
but then again, so have you !
They edit articles on Wikipedia.. I believe these articles are contributed by many people as opposed to only one person writing that article. But still, you need to put up a strong baseline for that article... You can research it in small parts, and even upload the article in small parts. For example, the "history" or "background" for your article, you can put it on wiki first...
Wiki is notorious too for having its articles edited.. and these articles were written by real professors....
all d best for this article! ur energy sounds very positive.. get off that seat and go researching..... ur college must be havin online databases /library to search from .. rite?
dont listen to red soul..she is a useless bugger who doesnt visit my blog...lol.jk
anyways....I graduate in Spring 2009
!!
so I still have time for all tht stuff
Breaking up the work into pieces is a very good idea. It would indeed provide a simple and straightforward starting point to writing the entire document. Thanks for the suggestion :). And yes, my university does have stacks of research articles, magazines and publications - I just need to go in there and patiently find the information :D..
Post a Comment