Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

..............Robert Frost

Why is it that I have to miss my cousins' weddings in India? Why is it so difficult to make a trip back home? Why is is that what you wish for with all your heart, does not seem to work out? Why?

Nehaldidi, Megha and Tejasbhai are getting married in Jan-February of next year. I missed another cousin_s wedding around the same time last year. Weddings in India are so much fun!! The family gatherings, the practice of ancient customs and traditions, the fuss over getting ready and looking nice, the mad rush to have everything ready in time, the excitement of meeting new people from the other side, and the ability to enjoy despite of everything. I miss it, time and again, despite of scattered events of
advising and scolding given by elders, and some trivial back-bitting and jealousy from few mean women. I have also not seen my old grand-parents in four years now, and *touch wood*, but I am terrified at the thought of never being able to see them again.

I can't go for their weddings, because I will be busy with the final quarter of school at that time. I have always been very close to these cousins, and will not have anyone else's marriage to look forward to after them. They cannot have them other than that time for legit reasons, and I cannot go to India for 3 weeks to attend each one of their ceremonies. I guess there is still plenty of time to figure out a way to attend these family events and make myself happy. And I also think that I should sleep now, since I am a wee-bit emotional and have no motivation to study!

Have a good one, people, and 'may the power of family be with you'! =D

11 comments:

AmitL said...

Hi,Shreya...nice poem-always like Robert Frost's works..reg. missing weddings in India,well,that's one of the drawbacks of being abroad,I guess...even I miss traditional Indian weddings,since I came here(Used to find them claustrophobic affairs when I was there.LOL)..good luck at finding a way to attend them,after studies permit.:)

Anonymous said...

I think jan-feb wud be a gr8 time for a visit. The weather is very nice at that time. Moreover, since its ur last quarter, acads pressure would be less...so u can take out a week from ur quarter (some unimportant week)...and u could make up for it before and after the visit...

B said...

aww I have such terrible fears too.... i feel we r wasting our life n simple pleasures by being in d US so far away from our folks... :(

Anonymous said...

if its any consolation, u wil be free at the time of ur wedding...:)
hopefully !
"scaterred events of scolding, and backbiting by women.." lol

Anonymous said...

it was me..:)

Tinsel town buzz said...

oh wow! Everyone commented something about this post! :) ..

Amit, I like Mr. Frost's works too! We studied this poem in school and it has been my favorite every since. I can't find quality poems like his on the net; any recommendations? :)

Girish, there are 3 marriages, so I do not know if they will be done with in a week's time. Besides, the load of classes during the last quarter isn't going to be any easier because I am taking all higher level BME classes then :-P....

Red, I swear... what is the point of living a gruelling life here? The value of American dollar has already dropped quite a bit compared to the Indian currency. It is not even going to be that financially rewarding a few years down the road!!

Neo, thanks for making me feel so much better *sarcastic*... Have you not been missing out on family weddings?

Anonymous said...

of course I make u feel better...what r friends for ?
regarding quality poems, ...u shouldl ask me for my works....amazing gems if i may say so !
regarding missing out on weddings... nope !!! almost everyone got married before 3 years , and then had 2 weddings here in the US !

By the end of this year , the dollar will trade at 36 rupees or so !
If u have to move to a different country for the currency tade, consider bahrain or such !!!
I have an uncle who earns in pounds ( british) and spends in indonesian rupees !!!!!
jalsaaaaa !

Anonymous said...

so ur final year is even more taxing than previous ones..thats just awesome :D....
but still, i dont think marriages etc are that much fun...most of the times they are plain boring!
maybe its a 'greener on the other side' thing :)...

Anonymous said...

dude !! girish !!!
gujju marriages are a LOT of fun !

Anonymous said...

btw, wth is up with ur blog ???
cant access it !

Anonymous said...

yo neo...its good that u enjoy marriages...
but they are so boring!!

Design by Blogger Templates