You don't need to read this - This is more for my records than for your updates

The Audichya Brahmins have a number of ‘Gotras’. The ‘Gotras’ are Vatsa, Bhargava, Dalabhya, Dron, Maunas, Gangayan, Sankratrutya, Sankruit, Panlastya, Mandakya, Shaunak, Bhardwaj, Kaudinya, Artio,Krushnatri, Swetatri, Chandratri, Gautam, Kutsas, Anfiras, Vashishtha, Upmanu, Udvah-Audvah, Parashas, Laugashi, Kashyap, Shandilya, Gabhil, Pipplad, Udalak, Audalals, Garga, Kaushik, and Hirnyagarbha. There are more than sixty different ‘ataks’ (Surnames) among the Audichaya Brahmans. These atak names which are used as surnames are based on their profession and field of proficiency. The most common among them are Dave, Pandya, Thaker, Upadhhyaya, Trivedi, Jani , Pandit, Acharya, Raval, Joshi etc. Earlier there were only 16 Surnames but in course of time the number went upto 60. The Brahmans who studied and taught the Vedas to other Brahmans were known as Acharya. The Brahmans who study and teach the Vedas in different regions come to be known as Upadhyayas are also referred to as Ozas, Pundits, Pathaks and Pandas. The Brahmans serving Rajput Kings at the marriages of princes and princesses were call Purohits irrespective of their original surnames. Brahmans residing in Panchal Pradesh were called ‘Pancholi’ while those who were well versed in Astrology are known as Joshis. Thakar Brahmans were those who gave up their original vocation to manage their villages. The Brahmans who possessed the knowledge of all the four Vedas were known as Chaturvedis, those who possessing the knowledge of three Vedas become Trivedis or Tripathis and those familier only with two Vedas are called Dwivedi and Dave. The Brahmans doing clerical work were called Mehtas and those who were experts in making preparations of Yagna were called Yagnik. The Brahmans possessing knowledge of the Vedas were called Vyas. One can understand that the community self perception of its status is on a pride in occupying the biggest position in the varna hierarchy.

2 comments:

AmitL said...

Whew-I'm impressed,if you remember all that-super memory.:)I see u're studying family Tree-Vedis.:)
(Couldn't resist that pun!)
---
On your latest post after this,which doesn't have a comment section-well,even if you do your homework, you should still work with no expectations-then,anything which happens feels great,and you don't feel let down-at least,that's what I do.Expectations,yes-but,from myself.Incentives for work done,yes,but,expected from myself only.:)Does it make sense,Shreya?
---
Ooohh...yes,I believe,I believe-that there's an 'identical twin'out there somewhere(Refers to ur previous post).:)
Do u know who the lil girl in the pic is?
---
And,the post before that- don't we all?I mean,long to go back in time,to what we feel was the best period in our life-little realizing that five years hence,the current period might seem to have been the best.:)Amazing cycle of life God has made,really!
---
And,now that I've read all the posts I missed,I feel happy.Cheerio!!

B said...

i wudnt have been judgemental even if you left the comment section ON in ur recent post :P... but I know sometimes I also do that to some of my posts.

Design by Blogger Templates