Stinginess

When people go out to eat, they usually look at the menu prices and decide what they would like. But they are very often surprised when the bill comes around - b/c it is substantially higher than what they had expected. I would lobby for restaurants putting up their tax inclusive prices on the menu, which would raise all prices by 11-14%. However, this is still not going to be the final price paid by the customers because they would need to pitch in an extra 10-15% for tips, which if added together comes out to be 25% of the meal price!! So in future, I better be ready to pay 25% more than what has been listed on the menu :(

2 comments:

B said...

yes exactly. I hate the tip part. coz Im not used to calculating it earlier.. and then my food goes overbudget :P

AmitL said...

Hi,Shreya-LOL..yes,u'd better be ready to pay 25% more next time you eat out. And, if you are in India, be ready to pay another 10-12% for sitting in an AC restaurant.I was just writing a letter to the editor on an article on tipping.Here's the link:http://khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?section=weekend&xfile=data/weekend/2008/february/weekend_february86.xml

And, here's something else I found on the history of tipping:http://khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?section=weekend&xfile=data/weekend/2008/february/weekend_february86.xml.

Bon Appetit!

Design by Blogger Templates